Cecil John Rhodes once dreamt of traveling from Cairo to Cape Town by train, on a majestic trans-African train safari. Rovos Rail, Africa’s premier luxury rail company, now offers this incredible opportunity, and many others within South Africa and Southern Africa. Hop aboard the most luxurious train in the world – a 72-passenger refurbished colonial coach pulled alternately by steam, diesel and electric engines – and travel in ultimate luxury.
- Pretoria to Cape Town – 48-hours, including scenic mountain ranges, the beautiful Cape Winelands and a stop off in the picturesque town of Matjiesfontein.
- Pretoria to Durban – A special three day train safari from Pretoria to Durban across the Nambiti Reservation, where the Big 5 roam.
- Victoria Falls – a three day trip through hugely varied African scenery, through Mafikeng, Botswana, Mahalapye, Gaborone, and finally into Zimbabwe.
- Namibia – Seven days aboard takes you from Pretoria, through Kimberly and the famous open-cast diamond mine ‘The Big Hole’, the Fish River Canyon, and a night spent in the Mokuti Game Reserve.
- Dar Es Salaam – One of the most famous train journeys in the world; this epic 14-day adventure goes through Madikwe Private Game Reserve, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and past the Great Africa Rift Valley.
- African Collage Journey – Experience South Africa in classic luxury and style as you wind your way lazily through some of the country’s most picturesque scenery. Explore the Cape Winelands and the Highveld at your leisure on this nine day scenic train journey.
- Golf Collage Journey – This relaxing nine day golf sojourn departs from Pretoria and stops first in the Kruger Park, where you can choose between an early morning game drive or a round of golf. You’ll go on to stop off at up to six famous golf resorts, including the legendary Fancourt Hotel & Golf Estate, as well as many other private game reserves and popular tourist destinations.
- Cape to Cairo – Embark on the ultimate journey by train across the vastness of Africa! Choose between a 28 and a 35 day journey and prepare to experience Africa in a way that many have dreamt of, but few have ever been able to enjoy. Travel by luxury train and private aircraft from ancient Cairo to Cape Town, and experience the journey of a lifetime.
The Pride of Africa has three classes of suites available:
These luxurious two-person (7 square meters) apartments are furnished with a comfortable sofa which can be converted into a double bed or separate twin beds, as well as an en-suite bathroom with a shower, hair dryer and shaver plug.Rovos Rail Pullman Suite with Double Bed.
These superior suites (11 square meters) sleep two passengers comfortably in a double or in twin beds, and are equipped with a writing surface, personal safe, bar fridge and an en-suite bathroom with a shower, hair dryer and shaver plug.Rovos Rail Deluxe Suite with Double BedRovos Rail Delux Suite with Twin Beds.
These spacious luxury suites (16 square meters) each take up half a carriage, and offer every modern convenience. Two large single or a very large double bed, a beautiful en-suite bathroom and its own private lounge area make the Royal Suites the ultimate way to cross Africa in style.